阅读权限
注册时间
2005-11-21

财富勋章

沙发
发表于 2006-5-23 14:42:01 |只看该作者 微信分享

Official Response

Dear students,

Last week, as some of you may have noticed, a group of 50 or so (mostly) Chinese students gathered outside the library on the Turitea Campus to protest the previous issue of CHAFF, which featured a covering page representing Chinese Communist leader, Chairman Mao Zedong, superimposed onto a woman’s body (see CHAFF news page 7 for more details). During the course of the week, CHAFF has met and talked with Chinese students, with Massey, and with representatives of the international student community. We’ve listened to their criticisms and talked with them extensively. Acknowledging the offence and anxiety that has come as a consequence of our last cover, CHAFF made the decision to publish this formal editorial response to the (mostly) Chinese students who participated in the protests or were otherwise offended by CHAFF issue 10.

Protesters, Chinese student representatives, and Massey International Student Director Bruce Graham have requested that CHAFF print a formal apology. CHAFF understands that our satirical representation of Chairman Mao has caused deep hurt among Massey’s Chinese community. CHAFF understands that for many Chinese, Mao is not a just political figure such as Helen Clark or George Bush open to satiric target, but a religious and spiritual figure who should be accorded a higher level of respect. We also understand that the figure of Mao is central to Chinese nationalism, and that an attack on Mao would be viewed by some Chinese as an attack on all Chinese people.

However, we will not apologise for our Mao cover for the following reasons:

Over the course of the week, we have received a substantial number of letters, emails and phone calls from Chinese students and citizens both at Massey and around the country expressing their support, and indeed, many expressly encouraging us not to apologise. For that reason, we cannot apologise to the Chinese community, because it is evident that the Chinese community does not hold one single opinion on the matter.

We believe it is neither possible, nor desirable for there to be one single interpretation of Mao. While we recognise that in China today the figure of Mao is central to Chinese nationalism, Mao is also an international cultural symbol who signifies different things in different contexts. Indeed, Mao himself openly sought such international significance during his own lifetime. Mao is open to differing and clashing interpretations from both cultures outside of China, and from within Chinese culture itself – as the many letters from Chinese students in this issue demonstrate. The point is that it is both possible and legitimate for a society to claim to represent Mao in their own cultural terms, without intending any disrespect to Chinese people.

The central reason are not apologising for our cover is because it was a political statement, not a racial one. We believe that a significant amount of the offence caused by the cover is due to confusion over this fact.

The political purpose of the cover was the same as all good satire: to provoke discussion and debate. When one single interpretation is used to define something – whether it be a political system like democracy or communism; or a historical figure like Napoleon or Mao – then institutionalised modes of thought start to take over. Satire is a way to get someone to view the world from a different perspective, and the ability to view the world from alternative perspectives is central to any free society.

Unless there is a constant contest over the significance of the things that give our world meaning, then a social boundary comes to define what can be said about a specific topic. Once we reach the limits of what can be said about something, it soon follows that we have reached the limits of what can be thought about something.  Where meanings become fixed; any kind of real freedom stops existing.

CHAFF will provide an open forum for anyone who wants to contribute to the debate, whether this is in the form of letters, articles or whatever. In doing so, we believe we’re fulfilling our role as student media.

CHAFF would like to express our sincere regret that many Chinese students perceived the cover image as a cultural or racial insult. This was not our intention, and CHAFF has always and continues to be inclusive, representative and supportive of all students.

- The CHAFF Team
~~就算你是我的克星,就算下一秒我将面对万劫不复```````我也不在乎,我认命。

使用道具 举报

升级  74.4%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-11-21

财富勋章

板凳
发表于 2006-5-23 14:45:26 |只看该作者 微信分享

Letters.

My Major Views on the “Mao Zedong Lampoon”

(1)  Chinese students do experience racial discrimination in NZ and it should under no circumstances be tolerated.  

The incident involving recent Vic Univ students’ magazine “Salient”’ “Top five Things to be Wary of”, whether arising from malice or stupidity, was a case in point and should be condemned.

(2)  The Mao lampoon on the cover of “Chaff” is entirely another matter.  In Chinese culture it is rather bad taste to put a man’s head on a woman’s body.  Many Chinese probably think the lampoon of bad taste, and, indeed, so may some New Zealanders.  But it can in no way be viewed as an affront to the Chinese as a race.

(3)  Mao is not a sacred deity.  He was a highly controversial figure in Modern Chinese history.

It is a historical fact that his policies have killed tens of millions of Chinese people.  Some say 70 million.  

Two events stood out: the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution.

The Great Leap Forward resulted in 30-40 million Chinese, mostly peasants, deaths from starvation.  This is the most horrendous famine in human history.

The Cultural Revolution inflicted untold sufferings on hundreds of millions of Chinese, including officials.  About 2 million people were tortured or persecuted to death, or suicide.  There was book burning.  Countless temples, monasteries, churches and cultural relics were destroyed, with invaluable cultures artifacts smashed to pieces.

To many Chinese people who have lived through Mao’s rule and know the facts, Mao was a murderous tyrant.  There is absolutely no reason why people all over the world who value human lives and cherish a humane, democratic way of life should put Mao on a pedestal.

(4)  On the other hand the present CCP leadership is political successors to Mao.  To maintain legitimacy of their rule, they simply can’t afford to face up and admit to Mao’s crimes.  They do all they can to cover up, to whitewash Mao’s wrongdoings.  No free flow of information or debate on Mao is possible in China today.

China is a one-party dictatorship, and education and mass media are under the tight control of the party’s propaganda departments.  In Chinese textbooks there is only brief mention of the follies of the Great Leap Forward and the famine was glossed over, blaming “bad weather”.  The cultural revolution, which lasted 10 years, about 40% of the duration of Mao’s rule (27 years), is only touched upon lightly.  There is of course no mention in Chinese textbooks of June 4th Tiananmen Massacre in 1989.  On the other hand false stories are told to boost Mao’ image.

(5)  Young people who have undergone such an educational system are naturally brainwashed.  I would like to advise from my own experience that Chinese students should take advantage of their overseas educational opportunities to not only study advanced science and management, but also learn more about China’s modern history, and about such historical figures as Mao Zedong.   This is also a good chance to learn about democracy, freedom of expression, pluralism and toleration.  

(6)  The presence of Chinese students is very welcome.  As an academic of Massey University I am happy to see so many young Chinese studying on the campus.  The university should be a place where people create, disseminate and acquire knowledge and in the process learn, safeguard and practice modern, progressive values.  International students would do well trying to learn about, understand and respect the culture and practices of the host country and host university.  It would be undesirable if the dollar sign should be allowed to rule and “he who pays the piper calls the tune”.

The above are my personal views.  I would be happy if they would be given some thought.

Li Dong
Senior Lecturer
School of Language Studies
Turitea Campus

Where’s all the Chaffs?

I’m not sure who I’m writing to but I just have a couple of comments regarding the protests over Chaff’s Commupolitan cover. Like Nick was saying the other day - free speech means Chaff can make a humorous comment about Communism and Chairman Mao, and people who don’t like them doing that can express that. Fantastic.

But today (Wednesday) I notice that there are no more Chaff’s to be had, either in the Library or Old Main Building … I really hope that these protesters haven’t taken them because that does them a great disservice. By removing all the remaining Chaffs, they remove a person’s right to make up their own mind and form an opinion. They take away a little bit of freedom from someone, which begins to sound a lot like what Chaff were parodying in their Mao cover in the first place. If they did it, I wonder how many of them have objectively looked at their leader’s history instead of what they’ve been brought up and told to believe. The question of choice, in a debate like this, is everything.

David Collins

Respect

Dear Sir or Madam

As representatives of Chinese student community at Massey University, we are writing this letter as a formal complaint concerning the cover page of the latest edition of CHAFF, in which Mao-Zedong’s head is superimposed onto a female’s body. We strongly oppose such an inappropriate conduct that conveys a deep disrespect for our culture and history.  

Mao-Zedong is the founder of the People’s Republic of China and is one of the most prominent figures in Chinese history. The legacy that he has left for his descendents is more than that of a great revolutionary leader; he is also revered as a great spiritual leader and cultural symbol. Our feeling in response to this picture is that it is not only disrespectful to a great historical figure, but is offensive to members of Chinese community at Massey University.  

We expect an immediate action taken by the CHAFF to withdraw remaining copies of newspapers from all campuses and a formal response to this matter of concern in order to prevent similar incidents from happening again.  

Sincerely,
Palmerston North Chinese Students & Scholars Association (PNCSSA)

“Our country is much more powerful than yours!!!!”

Sth very bad happened on Chaff newspaper. And you, CHAFF Editor, must take full responsibility for this. No more excuse, just make a public apology to all chinese people in New Zealand. Things will not end if you do nothing. By the way, don’t look down on chinese people coz our country is much more powerful than yours!!!!

- An insulted chinese student

Chaff SUCKS!

I feel sick of this week’s Chaff cover! If it’s a joke, it’s not funny at all. I feel you guys making fun of all chinese. We are waiting for your apology on next week’s chaff. Dont ignore this, we are watching you. and we know who you are. BTW this paper sux! You guys wasting of our money!

- Ye

An egg should never argue with a stone
HI “EDITOR”:

You are a totally asshole, how dare you to do this. you simply don’t know how serious this is. Some one has send this news to BBC news, and we have already got the response from them saying they will pay attention on how the things getting on. Tell you what, there has been an agreement in chinese community that we will not give up until you get fired!!!! I am not joking!!!!! China is not the country it used to be, it is the third largest economic state and the member of 5 countries in united nation security
council. There is a us dj was joking asian on air, and he got jailed and fired, you can search on the net if you want to know more, i happened just days ago. Chinese old man always say:” an egg should never agrue with a stone!!”

Angry in Palmy

whoever is on duty
i am a massey uni student I feel very angry about Musa paper published our China president chairman Mao-Ze-Dong dressed up in lady’s clothes!! Musa Must publish their apologize !!! Must do it!!

Sex with a catholic

Dear all:

I saw Chaff published our Chairman Mao Ze Dong dressed up in a lady’s cloth. I am very angry about it. I knew Chaff used The Queen and PM of NZ to have a fun like this. It was your acceptable way. However, in my culture, there is no one can play Chinese like this, moreover he is the God of us. It sounds like can you ask a Muslim to have pork for dinner? can you make love with a catholic before getting married?

Chaff has been so rude and impolite to Chinese students. So. I need Chaff to apologize and published it ASAP.

An order

I am one of many Chinese international students, writing this letter to you behalf of other hundreds of Chinese student of Massey University to deprecate on what musa had published on musa paper today. Massey university Musa paper had published our first president and chairman leader - Mao ze dong dressed up in lady’s clothes. It is very disrespectful and sniffish on Chinese students and many other Chinese citizens. The published picture has become a hot topic among Chinese internet chatting rooms. Hundreds of Chinese students feel anger and upset!!! It is not only caused Massey Chinese students upset, it is angry of all Chinese international students in New Zealand.

We, Chinese students never say a bad words on your new Zealand Majesty “The Queen”, we showed good respect on her majesty, how could kiwi do such things like that? Mao ze tong is our first and greatest leader ever in latter china history since 1990, his picture published on Chinese notes today as we respected him very much. Mao ze dong to our Chinese is just like The Queen to all New Zealanders. Therefore we are angry at Musa because Musa had insulted him.

We won’t stop our objections until you make an apology to all Chinese International students. You have to publish your apology on musa paper of next week, and callback all musa paper in Massey university campus IMMEDIATELY!!! Remember, this is not an asking, it is an order!! The order is from all Chinese international students.

Do it right now, before the even goes worse!!

- Christopher

Tiananmen Square

Hi Edrei, I guess you had a bad Wednesday...aren’t you?

well i did walk pass the protest location outside the library Wednesday noon, i am a student from mainland China, also I love my home-country from the bottom of my heart. However, I did not join the crowd. Does that means I’m unpatriotic? barely because i desagree with them.

From my cultural point of view, I do understand the reason why people were offended by the covering page. Chairman Mao’s legacy - he won the civic war started with poor weapons and almost nothing; he united a country which was so internally and deeply divided since the falling of China’s last dynasty; moreover, his historic status the founding father of People’s Republic Of China. Just think about George Washington of the U.S. That’s why we respect him, despite his errors in the domestic governance, we print him image on our legal tander, we hang his image on the Tiananmen Square, we even bulit a memorial for him.

There is an old saying that you won’t able to fully understand the present without the knowledge of the past. We Chinese were ruled by feudality for more than two thousands years, people were taught to be absolutely obeying the top-class, historically the emperor, and the central government in the modern time. Our culture was not built in one day, but couple of thousands years. We are saying China is opening to the world, China was changed if not fundamentally, at least dramatically over the past three decades. However, those deep cultural side will surely need much longer time than people’s acceptance of condoms automatic teller on the side of streets.

Chinese students were sent to western countries since the early of the 16th century(approx.), with the mission of learning from the advanced western countries, although not necessary to be all. Now, at the age of globlization, it is naive to argue that all aspects of the western society are more advanced than China, come down to China, I am sure you will learn a thing or two!

I do believe that we Chinese students here in New Zealand must learn to be critical and objective. As I did argue with my fellow Chinese students, the CHAFF covering page event is more about cultural differences, rather than any kind of political offence, or a defiance to the entire Chinese community. I studied Cross-cultural Communication last year, so I know where your idea comes from.

If CHAFF should learn anything from this incident, that is the imprtance of cultural differences awareness. (trust me, i am not here marketing for my lecturer Marianne^_^)

Best Regards!
Rick

Kerfuffle
One response to the Chinese kerfuffle might be to ask future authors who mention anything Chinese to show that no-one will be offended before you publish it. That could make the apology hard to publish, because I for one would be offended if you backed down on this. What they’re asking for is grossly unreasonable, and does amount to the supression of any mention of China or Chinese culture. Offer to run articles on Falun Gong or Tibet? I’m sure there are members of both groups in NZ who’d be happy to contribute. And as for ‘Mao is no more a killer than Bush or Washington is’. I agree. Both killed a lot of people. Admittedly Mao is more in the Stalin or Pol Pot category, but they’re all definitely killers.
- Moz

Don’t give in …

I just want to say that I hope you don’t give in to calls to ‘apologise’ or anything like that. I’m sure that by apologising you’ll offend many more students than what you supposedly have done with Mao. Freedom of ideas/press supervenes any notion of cult like/ religion status. If you have to comment, point out that neither the Queen, George Washington or George Bush have started any form of death march which cost millions of lives.

Personally, I thought the cover was brilliant. Much along the lines of the parody covers two years ago.

- Bow

Pretty fly for a Thai guy!

Stay firm! To the student saying Mao was no more of a killer than George W Bush, you can tell him that Bush INDEED is a killer - as Mao also was - and that he can keep Jesus out of this - he did certeinly NOT kill anyone!

Trygve Guntvedt
Attaché
Amb. Bangkok

S, not Z!

Dear Edrei

This morning’s Dominion-Post showed the front page of the latest edition of Chaff.

While I am not bothered by the lampooning of a communist dictator, I was horrified to see a glaring spelling error on your cover.

‘Standardisation’ is NOT spelled with a ‘Z’.

We use the English language in New Zealand, not the American one.

Yours sincerely
Darryl Ward

Support from Auckland Chinese

dear sir:
I am a chinese living in nz for more that 10 years. I heard you got trouble with some chinese regarding the issue of our chairman mao. I 100% support you for what you are doing. Chairmao is a tyrant, he has killed millions of chinese during his regime. I do not understand why those chinese can represent all the chinese to protest your right thing. From this point of view the brain wash is very bad and heavy by the communist party in china. You are doing the right thing, you are telling the truth. What if you say hilter is a tyrant but those nazists protest you, will you apolize? You are doing the right thing, and being supported by millions of chinese whoes family had been destroyed by chairman mao.

Regards
a group of chinese more than those protesters

From a free-speech advocate

To all concerned:

Stand firm!  The cover was amusing- I think if it had been of a different world leader (Hitler, Stalin, Bush, Ghandi, etc...) it would not have elicited the same (or, perhaps, any) response.  Any time the media prompts discussion (even by controversial means) everyone is better off for it; contributing to the public debate is the media’s job.  

Don’t back down on this; satire loses its edge if it can’t evoke real emotion for fear of offending.

-alex pate (sometimes columnist, all-the-time free speech advocate)

More support from our Chinese friends

Dear Mr Edrei Valath, Matt Russell & all other Chaff staff,

I am writing to you express my opinion on the event of Mao Zedong’s picture on the Chaff cover. What I want to discuss with you are as below:

Firstly, Mao absolutely was “more a killer than George Washington or George W Bush”, which can be confirmed by referring Communist official history book.

Secondly, so far, Chairman Mao had never been Jesus to Chinese as I know, and even Communist propaganda in China has never been put in this way.

Thirdly, a few persons may still respect Mao as a father of China, but before Mao, China has at least 5000 years history, “without Mao, there is no China” is absolutely nonsense.

Fourthly, Chinese are totally different from Muslim in term of culture; there has never been a Prophet existed in Chinese culture.

Fifthly, Chaff staff may be ignorant the Chinese Communist culture, but not the Chinese culture. I am sorry some Chinese mix them on purpose.

As a Chinese, I hate racism, but this event to do nothing with racism, so, I do not think you have to apologize to the Chinese students and the Chinese lecturer, who should have known more. Apology to whom know nothing about democracy in this democracy country can only be commercially correct, but
never politically.

- Rover So

Problems with Chinese Embassy organising Demonstration

Hi Edrei,

I think my subject title says it all. I doubt if the problems you had with Chinese students demonstrating over Chairman Mao was spontaneous. I suspect it was organised by the Chinese Embassy. Usually the going rate for Chinese student rent-a-crowd type protests is $8/hour or lunch (Yum Cha) at a Chinese restaurant.

I think you’ll find that there is no love lost between ordinary Chinese people and Chairman Mao. They may be a bit reluctant to say things out loud but generally most of them passionately hate him for the troubles and suffering he brought on China and its people. The Embassy also likes to use younger people for this task as they never lived through the difficult times of Chairman Mao.

I don’t think this activity by the Embassy is anything new. The first time I heard about it was about 10 years ago when they tried to organise a protest against the Dalai Lama’s visit to New Zealand. They tried to use similar tactics as they  did against your magazine but fortunately they didn’t succeed . Most NZ people took one look at their propaganda and threw it away.

They also organise rent-a-crowd tactics to go to sports meetings and the like whenever there are Chinese sports people participating here and overseas. It’s good for the folks back home to see the Chinese flag at
a sports meet - good propaganda!

I suspect the latest trouble at Victoria was also caused by the Embassy.

It’s also interesting to note that while such demonstrations would not be tolerated in China, the Embassy has no qualms about using such tactics here.

Regards
M.a.D

Rock on, baby!

Edrei, I read an article about your newspaper’s recent satirical cover at http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3672139a11,00.html, and hope you don’t bow to pressure to offer any sort of apology.  

I understand that the image of Mao was selected simply because he made a good Photoshop project, and fair enough, but the outrage from some Chinese students and faculty at your school is totally unwarranted, and frankly mystifying. One could argue that Mao was a successful revolutionary leader, but his “Great Leap Forward” and the subsequent Cultural Revolution resulted in tens of millions of deaths. Mao Zedong was one of history’s greatest monsters. What I find confusing is that these students studying at Massey University don’t seem to be aware of this, and instead feel that Chairman Mao is “like Jesus to us” (quote from student Xing Tang) or “no more a killer than George Washington” (Yang Chenglin).  

The answer is simple - Massey University students need to be re-educated.  It’s what Mao would have wanted.

Rock on
Pete

使用道具 举报

升级  74.4%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-11-21

财富勋章

地板
发表于 2006-5-23 14:47:06 |只看该作者 微信分享

News Story

Chinese students angered by Chaff Mao lampoon

Race relations commissioner vindicates Chaff

Last Wednesday a large group of between 50 and 60 mostly Chinese UCOL and Massey students gathered outside the library on Massey’s Turitea campus to protest the covering page of Chaff issue 10, which featured an image of Chinese Communist leader Mao Tze Dong superimposed onto a woman’s body in the style of the well-known fashion magazine, Cosmopolitan. After first appearing on the front page of the Manawatu Standard on Wednesday, the cover has since been reprinted in every major New Zealand newspaper, and has sparked debate over issues regarding cultural sensitivity and freedom of expression.

Protestors likened the Chaff cover to the Danish cartoons lampooning Mohammed, which circulated around the world earlier this year, and labelled the image as both culturally insensitive and disrespectful to the Chinese community.

One Chinese student explained to Chaff: “We strongly oppose such an inappropriate image which conveys a deep disrespect for our culture and history. Mao Zedong is the founder of the People’s Republic of China and is one of the most prominent figures in Chinese history. The legacy that he has left for his decedents is more than that of a great revolutionary leader; he is also revered as a great spiritual leader and cultural symbol. Our feeling in regards to this picture is that it is not only disrespectful to Mao, but to Chinese culture and the Chinese community at Massey”.

Massey University 4th year, Gibson Li, was one of the main organisers of the protest.

“I’m not happy, the Chaff staff should say sorry. Massey University has no international culture and Chaff should have thought about the culture shock that many international students face”, Mr. Li said.

Doctor Fei Wu, a senior lecturer in Finance at Massey’s College of Business and leader of the Palmerston North Chinese Students and Scholars Association, also criticised the cover, calling it disrespectful. However, he also told Chaff that he believed the offence was the result of “cultural miscommunication”, and that Chinese students are primarily “concerned to know whether or not Chaff was targeting the Chinese community for ridicule”.

Chaff Design Editor Nick Gibb says that the cover was not intended to be in any way disrespectful to Chinese students at Massey. He further said that the issue is one of politics, not race.

The cover was envisaged as a rather elaborate satirisation of both feminism and communism, since we had satirical articles on both subjects that week. “Mao was chosen as the best representative of the type of communism we wanted to satirise. We certainly didn’t expect this kind of reaction, because it was a political statement, not a racial or cultural slur”, Mr. Gibb said.

The demonstration began at around 12pm, and lasted for approximately one hour. Massey security officials commented that participants were “orderly and well-behaved”. Organisers gathered signatures for a petition demanding a formal apology from Chaff. One of the demonstrator’s placards called for the resignation of Chaff Editor Edrei Valath. On discussion with Chaff staff, organisers agreed to withhold their petition pending a formal editorial statement from Chaff, which appears on page 5 of this issue.

During the course of the week, Chaff has also learned that a group of Chinese students have been removing piles of Chaff from distribution points around campus and disposing of them. Doctor Wu says he was not aware of the action, and although he would neither support nor condemn the students involved, did say that “perhaps some students overreacted.”

Since the beginning of the week, both the Chaff and MUSA offices have been inundated with a constant stream of emails both supporting and condemning the cover. MUSA receptionist Pauline Karam said she received “hundreds” of emails over the course of the week, the majority critical. However, she also said “about a third expressed support, most of them from Chinese students at Massey”.

In an email to MUSA President Paul Fallon, Massey International Director Bruce Graham strongly criticised the cover, saying that it was “in extremely poor taste”, and “does nothing to show that the wider University community is both welcoming and supportive of international students”.

He went on to say that he fully endorsed the demand of the Chinese students for an immediate and formal apology.

Chaff did not receive any formal correspondence from Mr Graham’s office.

MUSA International Students officer Priyanca Radhakrishnan says that while she believes it was not Chaff’s intention to offend, it is also important to see the situation from the point of view of Chinese students.

“I think it is helpful if students put themselves in the shoes of students from foreign countries. If you’re already battling homesickness, the slightest flippant remark directed to your country or your leaders could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. You’re already in unfamiliar territory; the last thing you need is people making light of something you hold sacred. Hence, the existence of the group of offended students who felt the need to voice their sentiments on the concourse at lunchtime”, she said.

Ms. Radhakrishnan’s views were echoed by Race Relations Commissioner Joris De Bres, who was quoted in an article in The New Zealand Herald entitled “Student mag in cart for spoofing Mao”, saying student magazines need to get responsible.

“The fact is that at the moment in terms of surveys we’ve done, Asian people are amongst those who face the most discrimination in New Zealand”, Mr. De Bres said.

He further went on to say that when foreign students already feel alienated and subject to discrimination, “student media should be careful they don’t unwittingly add to this alienation, even if they have seemingly innocuous or satirical motives”.

In the article, the Commissioner likened the cover to a recent article in Victoria University’s student publication Salient, which featured a list of the “Top Five Things to Be Wary Of”, Chinese being rated at Number 5. The list caused so much offense among Victoria’s Chinese community that Victoria University Students’ Association last week forced Salient to print a formal apology.

However, Mr. De Bres later retracted his statement about Chaff on the National Radio discussion programme, Afternoons with Jim Mora, where he said that he had been misquoted in the article. He distanced Chaff from the Salient list, saying that they were different issues.

“I wasn’t particularly happy with that [New Zealand Herald] article. I was talking mainly about the Salient list – which I think could be described as culturally and racially insulting – and my comments about Chaff were put into that context. I hadn’t actually seen the cover of Chaff. I’ve seen it now. I absolutely accept that it was a political statement and I don’t impute any racist motive to that at all. I would have been as surprised by the reaction to this as [Chaff designer] Nick Gibb was, frankly... rather different to the Salient case”, Mr. De Bres said.

Mr. Gibb represented Chaff on the panel, and the programme can be downloaded from the National Radio website.

MUSA President Paul Falloon says that he is satisfied the Chaff cover was not intentionally offensive.
“Students should know that Chaff has editorial independence from MUSA, so we can’t stop them from publishing most things, even if we don’t like them”, he said. “MUSA has always done its best to be inclusive and representative of all students, as has Chaff. I’m satisfied that the cover had a political target, and there is no ground for labelling it as racist.”

“Commupolitan” is the third of Chaff artist-in-residence Nick Gibb’s covers to grace the front page of the Manawatu Standard. Back in March 2005 “White Trash Chaff” made it onto the front cover, with an image of Oscar The Grouch emerging from the Queen’s flip-lid head. Later on in the year, during Maori language week, the Standard featured “Moko Don”, a Chaff cover representing Don Brash adorned in full Maori Moko. Don was quoted as saying he liked it. But then again, it was an election year.

使用道具 举报

升级  74.4%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-11-21

财富勋章

5#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 14:47:39 |只看该作者 微信分享
英文版的。。。对不起大家没时间翻译

使用道具 举报

升级  19%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2004-5-24
6#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 17:28:24 |只看该作者 微信分享
这么长~~~~~~~~~

使用道具 举报

升级  45.87%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-3-29
7#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 17:30:58 |只看该作者 微信分享
这么多,看一眼头就大了~~

使用道具 举报

升级  77.6%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-9-19
8#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 17:32:39 |只看该作者 微信分享
资料真齐.........
我是蛋蛋~~我怕谁~~~!!
(考第一~~考第一!!)

给你换掉了~~~90后斑竹~~~~

使用道具 举报

升级  19%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2004-5-24
9#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 17:38:35 |只看该作者 微信分享
这个人要是崇洋媚外怎么着都没办法了,没有点民族意识.
我们所有的中国人都恨毛泽东,他们怎么知道???!!!!!这个事情MANY OF US都不知道.

使用道具 举报

升级  95%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-7-18
10#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 17:48:40 |只看该作者 微信分享
i think the one third who support the idea of the magazine is either nz born or not chinese but asian. i still think we should make them apologiz, i cnt express how i feel when i read the articles, but all i can say is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN U CHEFF!!!!!! APPOLOGIZ
welcome to mah world niggar!!!

使用道具 举报

升级  95%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-7-18
11#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 17:57:25 |只看该作者 微信分享
实在太气人了,怎么可以就这样算了? the reason for not apologiz??? whatever!!!!!!!!! 如果只是POLITICAL上的观点,有必要把毛主席的头像放在女的身上吗? 放在一个男的身上不就是好了嘛. i still dnt believe whoever supported this is chinese, n i cnt believe their is 1/3 of it. so damn crap!!!!!
welcome to mah world niggar!!!

使用道具 举报

升级  19.76%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-6-30

元老勋章

12#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 20:00:53 |只看该作者 微信分享
we have received a substantial number of letters, emails and phone calls from Chinese students and citizens both at Massey and around the country expressing their support, and indeed, many expressly encouraging us not to apologise. For that reason, we cannot apologise to the Chinese community, because it is evident that the Chinese community does not hold one single opinion on the matter.

CAO 你妈.李东这个狗娘养的
这就是CHAFF不道歉的首要理由

使用道具 举报

升级  19.76%

UID
热情
人气
主题
帖子
精华
积分
阅读权限
注册时间
2005-6-30

元老勋章

13#分享本帖地址
发表于 2006-5-23 20:01:44 |只看该作者 微信分享
越看越火...........不骂他真不舒服

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

手机版| 联系论坛客服| 广告服务| 招贤纳士| 新西兰天维网

GMT+12, 2024-4-30 20:56 , Processed in 0.020392 second(s), 14 queries .